Expectations



For my final blog post I would like to focus solely on the Ted Talk that we watched and the speech given by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Personally, I really enjoyed it and thought that everything she had to say really encompassed some of the most important themes that we have discussed throughout the course. 

In the very beginning of her speech Adichie said something that really stuck out to me; She acknowledged the negative baggage that is ultimately attached to the word "feminist." I found this part to be undeniably true and related it to my own life. When I talk to my parents or friends about feminist issues I am rarely taken seriously. They assume that I am joking around because there is no way that I could actually be a feminist. We have grown to associate so many stereotypes with the title that its meaning has been distorted entirely. A feminist is not a man-hating, obnoxious, strict and power-greedy woman. A feminist is anyone who recognizes that there is a problem with gender and who has hope for equality. We have anger but we have hope. I am a feminist because my gender shouldn't define my worth.

Adichie also talked about the expectations that we as a society have created and abide by. We expect men to prove their masculinity, underlyingly expecting them to prove why they are better and why they deserve dominance. Society teaches us that men are more important than women, and that women should feel shame and guilt simply because we are women. But why do we need to have these rigid gender roles and expectations? What if we lived without the weight of who society says you are supposed to be? Adichie summed it up best when she said, "Gender prescribes who we should be rather than considering who we are." We have recognized that everyone in the world is different, but now we must see that those differences are okay, and that they should not cripple us in anyway. We all deserve equal opportunity and equal treatment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gaga Wave

RAGE

Terror and Cultural Framing