nyc



This past weekend was my first time getting to explore New York City. I really enjoyed the sight-seeing that we did, as well as the opportunity to bond with classmates! Of the two museums that we visited, both of which I found to be extremely interesting, I personally had a greater fascination with the second one. The dinner party exhibit had beautiful, yet also very powerful, artwork that I really appreciated. I think that it's incorporation of so many prominent feminists and Womens rights activists, such as Virginia Woolfe, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Sojourner Truth, Georgia O'Keeffe, and so many more. The long lists of guests at the dinner party is evident in emphasizing the abundant power of all different kinds of women from all different kinds of places throughout history all working to achieve the same goals. In addition to this, I also thought it was really cool that observers of the museum are also able to see all of the work that went into creating this " first epic piece of feminist artwork." It gives us a behind the scenes look and, in my opinion, gives even more power to the exhibit as a whole. 

Aside from the museums that we visited, on our walking tour I found myself appreciating the Fearless Girl Statue the most out of all the places we visited. I love all of the symbolism that stands with her, and the messages that she sends to the thousands of people everyday that visit her. The plaque below the statue states, "Know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference." The statue demonstrates and undeniable bravery and power, one of which is overwhelming to some, these people being the ones attempting to have her removed. The controversy that a simple statue has created speaks volumes to how great of a problem gender diversity and equal treatment in the workforce really are. 

Natalie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gaga Wave

RAGE

Terror and Cultural Framing