Event Review: Same Story, Different Cast



 
            Earlier in the month there was a brown bag held in the women’s studies center that discussed what it’s like to be a queer person, especially one of color. I always hear stories of how it’s hard to be queer but I never really grasped the emotional aspect of it. The speakers talked about what it’s like to be transgender, gay, lesbian etc. One of the first things they said was that this space was not for the white straight people in the room. I think it was important for them to say that because many of the things that was being discussed wasn’t about anyone in the room that wasn’t considered queer or a queer POC. It was about them being able to tell their story to help us understand what they go through.

              I never had to think about how to tell my mom the gender of the person I’m dating because I know she won’t be surprised when I bring a guy home. Not having to worry about coming out to my family and friends is a privilege I have that I didn’t recognize until I heard the stories of how others had to tell their families they like the same sex or that they are transitioning to be the opposite sex. One story broke my heart because one lady didn’t want to come out to her parents because she knew they would reject her and that they’ve done so much for her to be able to live the life she is living. She had to hide who she was for the sake of her family’s emotions. She had to endure listening to her father talk about the LGBTQ community and how he believes they are a disgrace while she, unknown to him, is a part of this community.

              In class we read an article where certain people believe that raping a queer person will “turn them right”. We read about how doctors mutilate baby’s genitals because they are different. It’s upsetting to know how much more work we have as a society to stop trying to put human beings in pre-labeled boxes.
 
 
 

-Tatiana F.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gaga Wave

RAGE

Terror and Cultural Framing