My Body, My Choice


I grew up surrounded with the belief that abortions are wrong and evil. I was told that one must wait until marriage to have sex and then a baby will come and you will live happily ever after. So when I heard of young women who went to get an abortion I pitied them and with my inherited opinions I believed that what they were doing was wrong. Eleanor Cooney doesn’t try to make abortion seem like a pleasant harmless experience for both the mother and soon to be dead baby. She talks about how the baby is crushed and in some cases can be torn out of the woman piece by piece. I won’t lie and say that abortions aren’t gruesome but at the same time I learned that it’s not my place to judge a woman and her choices. There are many reasons why women want to terminate their pregnancy and abortion is just an option that allows women to exercise the right to their own body.

I found it really disturbing in the article by Cooney “The Way It Was” how a doctor sent her to have an abortion from a prostitute only so she can get sick and she legally can be given one. Limiting access to ways of abortion puts women at risk because if the situation is dire they will find a way to abort the baby. I think it’s safer and more humane to allow women to have access to abortion clinics without this impending fear that they will have to take out cash and go into a dank and dirty building with a high risk of infection. Judith Arcana of “Abortion Is a Motherhood Issue” makes a good point that when a mother chooses to abort her child she already knows the responsibility she is faced with and what exactly she is doing. To most women abortion is literally the last option.
-Tatiana F.

Comments

  1. I really liked your post because I had similar reactions to the Cooney article. Growing up my mom always told me that if I were to ever need an abortion I should get it and she would help me. I had a friend who was the opposite, she didn't think they were moral and she didn't think of the medical aspects behind doing them. This made for interesting conversations but I kept trying to tell her exactly what you said, it shouldn't be anyone's choice except the mother's choice to do what she wants with the baby. I liked how you talked about the articles in your second paragraph and how the point about for some people abortion is the last option.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gaga Wave

RAGE

Terror and Cultural Framing